Avast! is an antivirus software developed by ALWIL software company with the headquarter in Prague, Czech Republic. The software was launched for the first time in 1988.
Avast! is based on a scan engine certified by the ICSA labs and West Coast Checkmark. It incorporates the anti-spyware technology also certified in the West Coast Checkmark labs with capabilities of auto-protection.
Avast! Free Antivirus is a free version available for Windows and Linux users while Avast! Pro Antivirus is offered for companies and users who wishes for additional services. For the Avast! Pro Antivirus updates are delivered automatically using the update technology PUSH and it also has command line scanner and a system to block the scripts.
Since December 2009 Avast! Antivirus is a widely used antivirus software with 100 millions users from the entire world.
- Kernel antivirus based on certified antivirus engine;
- Residence protection containing individual modules or shields each one allowing to be individual configured or deactivated:
- File System Shield - real time protection against viruses and other malicious threatens;
- Mail Shield - Scanning e-mail client;
- Web Shield - HTTP protection version 4.8 allows blocking URL addresses;
- P2P Shield - Peer-to-peer protection;
- IM Shield - Protection for instant messages;
- Script blocker – Just for Pro version - scans malicious scripts in pages;
- Network Shield - Base protection against well known network worms;
- Behavior Shield - Reports suspicious behavior by analyzing software behavior;
- Anti-spyware capacities;
- Anti-rootkits capacities;
- Auto - protection - prevents malware to deactivate Avast! process and destroy them;
- Automatic elementary updates - it's updated the software and the signatures database used to identify possible threatens - Avast! updates viruses definitions automatically and regular;
- Sound alarms - vocal warnings and announcements like "Attention, a threat has been detected!" and "Virus data base has been updated.";
- Boot time scanning (just for 32 bits) - Users may schedule a scan of the boot process to stop infections that charge the boot time for Windows;
- Quarantine - the folder where the infected files can be stored.
The last version for Windows is 5.0. There are also:
- Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 - free for personal use, non-commercial;
- Avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0 - Shareware for personal use and commercial;
- Avast! Internet Security 5.0 - Shareware for personal use and commercial.
- Avast! official site;
- Avast! Awards and Certifications;
- Official page to download Avast! linux.
- Guide to install the Linux version of UbuntuGeek.Com
This term is in development.
Contribute on developing this term.